THE PHILIPPINE BOARD OF REPRODUCTIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY & INFERTILITY
The ultimate vision of the board of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility is to provide the highest quality standards of education, training, research & service towards certification for the specialty practice of endocrinology & infertility.
Committed to the highest quality standards of education and training, research & service in Endocrinology & Infertility, the Philippine Board of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility is in the forefront in the formulation, development and implementation of certification & accreditation of Fellowship Training Program in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility.
To be on the forefront in the formulation, development and implementation of national quality standards for certification of Diplomates and accreditation of Fellowship Training in REI in the Philippines.
1. To conduct examinations and/or other procedures to test the qualifications of candidates leading to certification as Diplomates in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility. The criteria for certification shall be applied equally to all candidates.
2. To issue certificates or any evidence of competence to eligible physicians who the PBREI considers to have demonstrated adequate knowledge & professional competence relating to the practice of REI.
3. To accredit the Fellowship Training Program of all hospitals that have qualified for accreditation and award re-accreditation to those who have continued to maintain their accredited programs.
4. To ensure the establishments & maintenance of quality assurance of the faculty & staff of accredited institution.
5. To evaluate the cognitive performance of fellows-in-training through an annual in-service training examination for standardization and upgrading of existing program.
The Philippine Board of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (PBREI) shall be composed of all past presidents of the society, one of whom will be the chairperson. A secretary recommended by the chair will serve as the administrative officer and is a non voting member. The secretary must be an active fellow for at least 5yeats and must come from an academic sector with a minimum rank of assistant professor.
The Chair will serve for a period of 1 year.
Functions of the Board: It:
1. shall certify Diplomates in REI upon passing the certifying examination.
2. shall formulate the requirements, rules & regulations governing the Diplomate Certifying Examination.
3. shall determine the requirements for a candidates re-examination for a specified number of tries.
4. shall set the minimum requirements for accreditation of a Fellowship Training Program in REI and periodically audit or monitor compliance to such standard.
5. shall recommend the suspension of accreditation of a training program for failure to meet requirements. Fellow in such program shall not be certified for the duration of suspension.
6. shall determine fees for accreditation, re-accreditation, examination & re-examination.
7. shall conduct annually an in-service examination.
8. shall formulate additional requirements, rules & regulations deemed necessary for efficient functions of the PBREI, and shall enforce such immediately.
9. shall continuously promote the infusion of advanced, modern & relevant technology into the health care delivery system of accredited hospitals to be concurrent in the global trends in health care relevant to health needs.
The program consists of 2 years documented, graduated and progressive training in hospitals accredited by the PBREI. The instructional objectives and program for academic activities for the fellows in each year of training must be submitted in the core curriculum set by the PBREI.
This is intended to assist a program until it is fully established to stand on its own as an accredited training program. Necessary guidelines have been set that include such criteria as proximity or accessibility of institution common curriculum, common consultants, availability for supervisions, common conferences, sharing of patients and responsibility, and others that should be worked out to define the relationships in a memorandum of agreement approved by the PBREI. The consortium is allowed for only 5years in existence.
Guidelines for Evaluation of Fellowship Training Program
1. The program must have a competency based core curriculum in the format prescribed by the Philippine Board of REI.
2. The section must have at lest 3 board certified consultants. (all fellows of PSREI)
3. The section head & the training officer must be a PSREI & POGS fellow
4. Trainor to trainee ratio is 1:1
5. In a consortium there should be a lead hospital which must be a university hospital
6. Training facilities must include out patient services, teachings, & training beds, operating room for major gynaecologic surgery, endoscopy room for laparoscopy & hysteroscopy, an ultrasound section, a laboratory for semen analysis, sperm washing, hormonal evaluation and immunologic testing. Lecture room and or conference room. Access to assisted Reproductive Technology laboratory.
7. Patient load requirements: Collectively by Fellow as Primary Physician
a. minimum of 20 patients/week in out-patient clinic
b. minimum of 3 endoscopic procedures per week
c. minimum of 3 major reproductive operations per month
d. exposure to ART procedure at least 15 per year
e. minimum of 25 ultrasound scanning per week
f. minimum of 4 cases of IUI per month
8. Didactic programs should include lectures, case conferences, pre & post operative conference, journal club & clinico-pathologic conference in the following topics:
a. female & male reproductive tract anatomy & embryology
b. reproductive endocrinology
c. regulation of the menstrual cycle
d. sperm & egg transport, fertilization & implementation
e. normal & abnormal sexual development
f. abnormal puberty & growth problem
g. ovulation & polycystic ovary
i. menstrual disorder
k. menopause & treatment of problem in the menopause
l. obesity & reproductive
m. thyroid & reproduction
o. male infertility
p. pediatric & adolescent gynecology
q. reproductive immunology
r. molecular biology & genetics
s. fertility regulation
t. ovulation induction
v. ultrasound in reproduction & infertility
9. section must submit annually the following:
a. statistical reports in procedures and number of cases done by the fellows.
b. 2 year OPD census
c. list of consultant staff
d. names of fellows with their corresponding year level
e. weekly activities
f. training program based in the standard training program
g. certificate of accreditation for training
h. log book for each fellow for inspection.
10. Research committee to monitor interesting and research cases of fellows
11. Documents of Training Institutions must be kept for 5 years.
12. Site inspection of the hospital and evaluation of the program shall be accomplished by designated number of PBSREI. Site inspection is done every 2 years.
13. Accreditation maybe revoked at any time during the 2 year for non-compliance with the requirements.